requested by naginis
When I made this, I thought it was a lot of work, but looking back, it's not that difficult to be honest. The first few steps aren't exactly the same, but in the end it would probably not matter at all.
→ → →
• I always start with a gradient map set to soft light. On this cap, I used this gradient:
• Then, I added a vibrancy layer with the vibrancy set to 100 and the opacity to around 75%. That done, I added a new gradient map, again on soft light, but this time a darker one to make the dark parts darker and the light parts lighter:
• To get rid of some colours, I used selective colour, made the yellows paler, grays blacks light and the blacks deeper.
Now let's get to the actual icon. As you can see, I flipped the cap horizonially and made it a nice and simple centre crop.
• I added this texture on screen
• To add some depth, I added a colour layer in #0e0e0e, which is a very dark grey and I set it to difference
• With a soft brush I drew something like this mess on Bill
• [here have a screenshot of my colour balance settings]
• And as you can see, I drew on the background in orange and yellow, both set to multiply (which isn't an information of import here because the background is white already)
• Added this texture, set to soft light, but please don't ask who made it, because I have absolutely no idea and I am convinced I did a lot of editing on this one before I used it
• And I also added a simple vibrancy layer: vibrancy 100.
• [Here are more screencaps of my selective colour settings + one colour balance layer]
First: Multiply, Opacity: 75%; Second: Hard Light, Opacity: 100%
• I also vibranc-ied it up a bit (+55 & +4)
• [FINAL STEPS YO]
• The font I used is called Rex and the text says "I saw the Dragon"
• After that I only added some sharpening and some little light blobs on the left and right in yellow and red, set to hard light and multiply, but they are hardly visible.
I hope that was helpful. I am very tired and I don't want to ramble, so I tried to keep it all a bit shorter this time ;D